Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Chapter 4






Chapter 4.




Said by the random woman:





"One time he killed a man who had found out that he was nephew to Von Hindenburg and second cousin to the Devil" (65).



The significance of this quote is to show that people like to start rumors and talk about stuff that they do not even know is true or untrue.









Said by Jordan:





"She began to cry-she cried and cried" (81).


The significance of this quote is to show that Daisy still loved Gatsby but felt like she had to marry Tom, even though she would be more happy with Gatsby.








Said by Nick:



"...and for a moment i was sorry that i'd ever set foot upon his over-populated lawn" (72)



The significance of this quote is to show that Nick was ashamed that he had ever been aquainted to Gatsby because he was getting himself into messy situations and he knew there would be a bad outcome.








Said by Nick:



"I put my arm around Jordan's golden shoulder and drew her toward me and asked her to dinner" (84).



The significance of this quote is to show how Nick finally got the courage to step up and ask Jordan out and confess his love for her.




Analysis of the Picture



The picture in this chapter is to symbolize the gossip that happens around the town. Throughout this book, there are many rumors and things said that are not true. There are constant lies and people turn out to be very unfaithful. Three people that are really unfaithful and tell many lies in this book are Gatsby, Tom and Jordan.



Tom is Daisy's husband but he does not deserve the title. Tom has a mistress named Myrtle and he blatently cheats on Daisy. Myrtle will call while Tom and Daisy are having dinner and Tom will have the odasity to answer the telephone call. Myrtle is also married so it does not look good for her either. Tom and Myrtle have their own apartment in the valley of ashes. That is where they hook up. This shows how Tom is unfaithful to Daisy.



Another character in this book that symbolizes gossip is Jordan. Jordan is a professional golf player and also a friend of Daisy and Tom Buchannon. She was once caught cheating at one of the play off games. She denied it, but it did really happen. Jordan has been known to lie a lot and to be unfaithful. Jordan tells Nick that she knows Gatsby. She tells him rumors that she had heard about him even though she has no idea whether or not they are true. This shows how Jordan symbolizes gossip.



The last character that symbolizes gossip is Jay Gatsby. Gatsby is a mysterious character. He had always been the talk of the parties and the newest rumor to hit the streets. He is Nick's neighbor in west egg and he is extremely rich. He bought that particular house because he can look across the lake and see Daisy and Tom's house. Gatsby once told Nick that his parents had died, which we later find out is a lie. This shows how Gatsby is a symbol of gossip.


















Lyrics


Three days grace


"Just Like You"








I could be mean


I could be angry


You know I could be just like you








I could be fake


I could be stupid


You know I could be just like you








You thought you were standing beside me


You were only in my way


You’re wrong if you think that I’ll be just like you


You thought you were there to guide me


You were only in my way


You’re wrong if you think that I’ll be just like you


You thought you were there to guide me


You were only in my way


You’re wrong if you think that I’ll be just like you








I could be cold


I could be ruthless


You know I could be just like you








I could be weak


I could be senseless


You know I could be just like you








You thought you were standing beside me


You were only in my way


You’re wrong if you think that I’ll be just like you


You thought you were there to guide me


You were only in my way


You’re wrong if you think that I’ll be just like you


You thought you were there to guide me


You were only in my way


You’re wrong if you think that I’ll be just like you








On my own, cause I can’t take liven with you


I’m alone, so I won’t turn out like you Want me to








You thought you were standing beside me


You were only in my way


You’re wrong if you think that I’ll be just like you


You thought you were there to guide me


You were only in my way


You’re wrong if you think that I’ll be just like you


You thought you were there to guide me


You were only in my way


You’re wrong if you think that I’ll be just like you








I could be mean


I could be angry


You know I could be just like you




Explaination of the Lyrics


These song lyrics are to show arrogance. People in this book talk a lot about each other and they always have some involvement in everyone else's business. This song is called just like you and the significance of it is to show that not everyone wants to be alike and be so self centered. Gatsby and Nick are examples of people who don't like to be like others. Nick is a very shy person. He is cousins with Daisy and neighbors with Gatsby.

No comments: