Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chapter 8













Chapter 8




Said by Nick:










"On the last afternoon before he went abroad he sat with Daisy in his arms for a long, silent time" (157).










The significance of this quote is to show that Gatsby never took any moment for granted. He was going overseas and he was worried that he would never be able to see Daisy again. He sat there with her for a long time because he loves her and he wanted to feel his arms around her one last time before he had to go.




















Said by Nick










"They're a rotten crowd, you're worth the whole damn bunch put together" (162).










The significance of this quote is to show how much better Gatsby is than Daisy, Tom and everyone else that hangs around with them.




Said by Wilson:


"i spoke to her, -and i said 'God knows what you've been doing. You may fool me but you can't fool God'" (167).


The significance of this quote is that Wilson has distrust in Myrtle. He knew there was something suspicious about her but he didn't know exactly what it was.




Said by Nick:


"I have an idea that Gatsby himself didn't believe it would come and perhaps he no longer cared" (172).


The significance of this quote is to show that Gatsby believed that no one would ever find out what had happened. He believed that they would just forget about it just like they forget about all their other problems. Nick also tells that he thinks that Gatsby just might not have cared either way what happened to him at this point.






Analysis of the picture.


The picture i picked is to represent the sadness felt in this chapter. The sadness with Wilson and Myrtle and also the sadness with Daisy and Gatsby. Wilson loved Myrtle. Although they didnt have any kids and she didn't love him as much as he loved her, he still loved her. She cheated on him all the time and he still found in himself reasons to keep on loving her. Daisy and Gatsby also have a part in this sadness. Gatsby loves Daisy more than anything. He had based his whole life on trying to get her back and to make her see that he loves her more than anything. Daisy has an affair on her husband with Gatsby, the man who devoted his every breath to her, and she has the odasity to not even show up at his funeral. I picked this picture because i believe it fit the chapter exceptionally well.















Lyrics












Taylor Swift Teardrops - On My Guitar Lyrics

Drew looks at me, I fake a smile so he won't see,That I want and I'm needing, everything that we should be,I'll bet she's beautiful, that girl he talks about,And she's got ev'rything that I have to live without...












Drew talks to me, I laugh 'cause it's just so dam funny,But I can't even see anyone when he's with me,He says he's so in love, he's fin'lly got it right,I wonder if he knows he's all I think about at night...












He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar,The only thing that keeps me wishin' on a wishin' star,He's the song in the car I keep singin', don't know why I do...












Drew walks by me, can he tell that I can't breathe?And there he goes, so perfectly, The kind of flawless I wish I could be,












She better hold him tight, give him all her love Look in those beautiful eyes and know she's lucky 'cause...












He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar,The only thing that keeps me wishin' on a wishin' star,He's the song in the car I keep singin', don't know why I do...












So I drive home alone, as I turn out the light,I'll put his picture down and maybe get some sleep tonight...












Cause he's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar,The only one who's got enough of me to break my heart,He's the song in the car I keep singing, don't know why I do...












He's the time taken up, but there's never enough,And he's all that I need to fall into..












Drew looks at me, I fake a smile so he won't see...


















This song reflects how Gatsby is with Daisy. No mater how much he wants her she will never be his. She is in love with Tom weather she is wishing to acknowledge it or not. There for when Daisy And Gatsby start having the affair it is doomed from the start.







No comments: